Songs and Dances
(Songs with dances appear in italics.)
- Overture (4:05)
Act One. Scene One. A Hasidic synagogue and Rachel’s apartment. Evening, the end of Yom Kippur (late September).
- “Life On the Fringe” (5:13)—Joel, Shimon, Chaim, Reuven, Ensemble Hasidim
- “Hineni! (Here I Am!)” (4:47)—Reuven, Rachel
Act One. Scene Two. Jewish Student Union, Columbia University. A Thursday evening (early October)
Act One. Scene Three. The synagogue, the next Friday evening.
- “The Rebbe Says” (6:44)—Joel, Shimon, Chaim, Reuven, Ensemble Hasidim, Graduate Students
Act One. Scene Four. A small graphic-arts office. The following Monday morning.
Act One. Scene Five. Jewish Student Union. The following Thursday evening.
- “Someone Just Like Me” (3:13)—Rabbi Brauer, Class
Act One. Scene Six. The office. Two weeks later (late October).
- “A World of Many Colors” (2:56)—Rachel, Reuven
Act One. Scene Seven. The synagogue. The following Friday evening.
Act One. Scene Eight. Jewish Student Union. The following Thursday evening (early November).
- “Marriage At Work” (5:33)—The Women
Act Two. Scene One. The office. Mid or late November.
- Act II Prelude / “Marriage Is Work—II” (4:46)—Rachel
- “When I Was One” (4:50)—Reuven (with Rachel)
- “Going Through the Motions” (2:52)—Burt
Act Two. Scene Two. The synagogue. The following Saturday afternoon (late November).
- “The Ways I Would Tell You” (5:34)—Reuven
Act Two. Scene Three. Jewish Student Union. The following Thursday evening (late November).
Act Two. Scene Four. The office. The following Wednesday (early December).
Act Two. Scene Five. The office. Late that night.
- “Something Strange” (6:49)—Rachel, Reuven (or a dancer double)
Act Two. Scene Six. Jewish Student Union. The following evening.
- “Forty Days, Forty Years” (4:21)—Class
Act Two. Scene Seven. The synagogue (eight days later), Friday evening (mid December).
- “Eight Weeks / A World of Many Colors” (2:36)—Shimon, Chaim, Joel, Reuven, ensemble Hasidim
- “Future Imperfect” (3:25)—Shimon, Chaim, Reuven, Rachel, Joel, Female Classmates, Ensemble Hasidim